Temporomandibular Joint Disorders
Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD) is the term referring to a pain in the head and neck and “hinge” joint of the jaw. (TMD and TMJ are often used interchangeably, but TMJ is the actul joint, and TMD is a TMJ (Disorder)
This joint is particularly flexible and allows the jaw to move in a number of directions. The jaw joint is constructed so it can accommodate chewing, speaking and yawning - virtually any slow, normal function (but not clenching or grinding). Pain occurs when there is inflammation of the muscles or joint.
The methods of treating TMD vary. In our practice, we take a conservative approach to stabilize and protect the joints while promoting healing, increased function and decreased pain in the supporting structures of the head and neck.
Signs and symptoms of TMD may appear in muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments, bones, connective tissue, and the teeth, even presenting as ear pain. Specific symptoms may be:
- Jaw pain, tenderness or acute pain
- Difficulty chewing or biting with accompanying jaw pain
- Noises such as popping, clicking or rubbing when opening/closing the mouth
- Limited motion when opening the mouth
- Facial pain in the muscles around the head, neck, face and/or shoulders
- Ringing in the ear (Tinnitus)
- Occlusal Splints - Night guards, worn in the mouth to protect the jaw joint from the effects of clenching and bruxing.
- Daytime Oral Appliances - Often in combination with a night time appliance, these help to stabilize the jaw, reduce daytime clenching and reduce pain.
- Patient training - Patint training in proper posture, stretching, exercise and breathing.
- Medications - Carefully selected medications to aid in increased relaxation and decreased pain.
To make an appointment for a FREE consultation, request additional information, or to be added to our mailing list, please call us at 715-341-5001 or send an email.
(c) 2013 Thomas J. Honl, Advanced TMD & Sleep Center
2020 County Road HH | Plover, WI 54467
Ph 715 341-5001 | Fax 715-341-8983 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Proudly providing expert sleep dentistry to all of Wisconsin and these cities:
Wausau Marshfield Wisconsin Rapids Stevens Point Waupaca Appleton Fox Cities
TMD / TMJ Treatment
TMJ / TMD Signs & Symptoms
TMJ / TMD
TMD and TMJ are serious medical problems that require attention from a TMD / TMJ dentist specializing in TMD. They often present as neck pain, jaw pain, headaches, jaw clenching, or face pain. Also known as Temporomandibular Joint Disorder, TMD can result from different abnormalities of the face and jaw. A dentist who understands facial structure and other contributing factors to TMD /TMJ Disorder is the best person to relieve the pain it can cause.
TMD / TMJ Dentist
Dr. Thomas Honl is a TMD / TMJ dentist and sleep medicine specialist practicing in Stevens Point, WI, but serving the entire State of Wisconsin. More complicated dental issues such as apnea and TMD TMj require close coordination with a community of sleep medicine specialists, and Dr. Honl works with local physicians from the Ministry Health and Aspirus organizations when solving TMD / TMJ issues for patients.>
TMD / TMJ Disorder Symptoms
- TMJ / TMD
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder
- TMD dentist
- TMJ dentistry
- jaw pain
- tooth grinding
- neck pain
- facial pain
TMD / TMJ Treatment & Cure
Dr. Honl has worked with patients from Waupaca, Wausau, Marshfield, Appleton, Fox Cities, Green Bay, Eau Claire, Madison, and all over Wisconsin, who wanted the best in specialist dental care for TMD / TMJ or for apnea and snoring issues.